Saturday, November 7, 2009

Halloween Costumes - a week later!

I finally got the pics off my mom's camera of the kids' Halloween costumes. They're not as good of pics as I remember them being a week ago, which is kinda sad since I cant get Maddy to even wear her tutu anymore, let alone the whole costume!!!

Here's my hubby Kyle with John:
(Kyle was a Lumberjack - he put suspenders on later - because his hair was too short to be Wolverine like I wanted him to be. He wanted to be Sabertooth but I told him no that's too creepy.)
Maddy, without the gold sash. Apparently there are no pictures of her with the sash, because it really just completes the outfit. It was just a strip of gold tulle but it made the green tunic sit nicely overtop the tutu. Oh well, I'll keep the outfit and make my next girl wear it sometime.

The back. I HAD planned to use velcro to fasten the back, but I cut the tunic too narrow apparently (she wouldn't hold still very well for me to check the sizing.) So I used some gold ribbon I had saved from my wedding (I have SO MUCH ribbon from our wedding; everyone and their dog wrapped the presents with ribbon it seems) and cut little holes and laced up the back. The tunic is made of felt, which was MARVELOUS because I didn't have to worry about making a hem or anything like that! While I created the tunic completely from scratch, I did get some help with the tutu. There are lots of tutorials online about making tutus but I followed this tutorial from Make It and Love It. (Ironically, Ashley from Make It and Love It had her daughter be Tinkerbelle and her son be Peter Pan for Halloween!)
I can't even remember what upset her this time. I just think its funny how many pictures I have of her throwing a fit. Sad, but funny.



Peter Pan!

I had plans to make a full costume for this little man, but I didn't. And I don't actually feel all that bad about it, because the hat totally makes up for it! (Plus he slobbers like crazy, as you can see on his green shirt. I might have been upset to see so much slobber ruin a costume I'd spent hours making.)


I can totally see why lots of people thought he was Robin Hood. The hats would be similar. Again, if I'd done the whole she-bang it would have been more obviously Peter Pan, but oh well.
I followed the tutorial again from Make It and Love It. I LOVE that blog! She has the best directions, and most of her clothing projects she has you use clothes you already own as a pattern. That way you know its gonna fit, as long as you don't mess up the sewing part!
I didn't dress up for Halloween this year, which is kinda unlike me. Last year I spent quite a bit of time covering and decorating a box to be and Oven (I was like 3 1/2 months pregnant with John so I had a Bun in the Oven...haha, I thought it was clever. Especially because my husband put on an apron and slapped a little flour on his face to be a Baker. My mother-in-law didnt pick up on the significance of that until about a month ago.)
We're already discussing what we'll dress up as next year. I'm thinking Family Themes, like Star Trek (John would be Spock), or Star Wars (John could be Yoda, Maddy could be an Ewok, I could be Leia and Kyle could be Darth Vader), or Goldilocks and the Three Bears, or...yeah, there's a lot to choose from. We'll just have to see I guess.














No comments:

Post a Comment