Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Project failed: behind-the-sink rack

Right now I am in the throes of some serious deep-cleaning and organizing, with a little bit of hat making on the side.  I'm hoping to get a few good hat designs perfected so that maybe I could try selling those on Etsy, so I'm going to wait a bit before I post about that project.

(*sidenote* My two hooligans are very uncooperative models, so is there anyone out there who wants a FREE specially-made hat for their kids?  If you do, send an email with your child's head circumference, whether its for a boy or girl, and your address to thrillingly_thrifty@yahoo.com.  All I ask is that you give an honest review and try to send me a few pics of your kid in the hat...just so I can see how it looks on them, I won't post any of the pics!  I'm trying to use up a bunch of leftover fabrics to clear out my craft area, so I can't promise any certain colors/designs but hey, free is free right?)

Anyways, back to today's post...I've had a number of wonderful people compliment my creativity for all the recent projects I've done (we got SO many comments at church when we all showed up in our matchey-matchey Easter outfits). 

See, the thing is, only about 50% of my projects are what I would call a "success", and I only post about a small number of those.  I have a TON of "failures" clogging up my craft area - usually I hang onto EVERYTHING in case I can tweak it later or use it for somthing else.

Today I thought I'd show you one of those "failures".
I got this rack thing at Goodwill for something like $.25.  It sat in my craft area for a few months and I stumbled across it in my deep cleaning this week.  I had the thought that I could use it in our cramped kitchen to help hang things to dry...washclothes, bibs, you can see that little mushroom scrubber hanging there.  I hotglued some clothespins to the rack and then thought I could buy those suction cup things and hang it right over my sink.

Problem: suction cups only work on COMPLETELY flat surfaces.  Despite what it looked like to me, the tiles behind our sink are not completely flat.  The suction cups won't stick.  I've wracked my brain to find another way to hang it without anything so extensive as drilling, but I've got nothing.  It kind of works just sitting there like you see above, but it would be much better if it was hanging.

At least I hadn't bothered to go to the effort of decorating the clothespins yet.  (I was going to mod podge some fabric to the tops.)

So, there ya go.  I'm trying not to get too frustrated about it.  (By the way, if anyone has an idea of how to get this thing to hang LET ME KNOW!!!)

Okay, enough procrastinating now...back to the cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment